Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 10 Jul 2017, 11:29 AM Agree 0
Unless Ontario’s government wants to see businesses shut, it must slow its employment reforms, lobby group warns
  • | 10 Jul 2017, 12:11 PM Agree 0
    not to mention 2 PEL days, this is going to be very costly; can no longer ask for documentation of the emergency; if not scheduled within 48 hrs, can say no without repercussions- we have employees that are temporary to fill gaps in attendance/schedule and are not able to say no; what a spot this is putting employers in
    you permit people more time off and you tie employers hands in being able to cover the days within 48 hrs; sometimes employers are not informed until the last minute
  • J. Baker | 10 Jul 2017, 12:21 PM Agree 0
    Where do these employers expect current minimum wage employees to live? Big city housing rentals etc. have risen dramatically. Expecting workers to endure long commutes for min. wage jobs is unrealistic and overall this negative position does nothing to promote a gradual entry into more middle-class careers. While it has yet to be proven that raising the minimum wage has a negative effect on the economy, it has been proven time and time again that the more money for workers, the better for the economy.
    • BGrigg | 10 Jul 2017, 01:47 PM Agree 0
      But not necessarily better for the workers. I've been tracking minimum wage increases since the early 1970s and still the working poor are poor.
  • jim | 10 Jul 2017, 12:52 PM Agree 0
    I agree with you however I think owner operated small businesses get their renumeration off the backs of lower paid workers. I think a lot of franchisees make their money off low salaries for workers. In some cases the returns are very significant and you wonder why there isn't a greater return to the staff creating that wealth. Unfortunately info from small businesses is hard to come buy and subject to many ways of representing "reality".

• Jeannie | 10 Jul 2017, 02:59 PM Agree 0
    I don't think that raising the minimum wage will have as drastic an impact on businesses as the Chamber of Commerce would have us believe. People who currently work at or around minimum wage today, have no disposable income after survival expenses; use credit and overdraft to cope with rent, hydro and grocery bills. At $15.00 an hour they will have money to spend and will spend it in their communities supporting the very businesses the Chamber says will have to close their doors. About the only business that will suffer is the pay-day loan sharks. That said, a more incremental approach would probably make it easier.

I think the more important step for ending precarious employment is paying casual, part-time and agency workers the same as regular full-time staff. This would end the practice of creating 3 part-time jobs to replace one full-time position and there would be little advantage for companies to staff 60% of their production positions with long-term agency placements.
Post a reply