Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 22 Aug 2013, 12:02 AM Agree 0
A police officer who urinated on another officer was fairly fired, according to a review board.
  • CM | 22 Aug 2013, 08:53 AM Agree 0
    The Court and the Superintendent have made the right decision. That kind of individual is a blemish to any police force. Not least, we the public don't want people capable a such behavior loose on our streets with a gun
  • MB | 22 Aug 2013, 01:06 PM Agree 0
    As much as this is alarming, medical conditions including "addiction" is a mitigating factor. Whether this was seriously scoped out and substantiated to form part of the disciplinary decision. There is a duty to accommodate as we'll if such substantiated medical problems exist. Perhaps a lesser penalty and mandatory rehab. Exhaust this avenue first and the employee should accept a last chance agreement in the event he does not fulfill his obligations, then dismiss. I suspect the appeal may raise human rights and prohibited grounds and impose a lesser penalty based on an substantiated accommodation issues. But I agree with the comment above, it is alarming to think that a mindset like that is supposedly protecting us. However police a human as well and addiction does not discriminate re occupation. There is a duty to accommodate when medical issues are legit.
  • BN | 23 Aug 2013, 01:14 PM Agree 0
    Yeah he probably would get in much more serious trouble actually serving the public who is generally not as well armed as he is. So it was a good decision.
  • Diane J. | 27 Aug 2013, 04:16 PM Agree 0
    There are many other duties available to a police officer that don't include direct interaction with the public, never mind being armed and on the streets. Perhaps there is work writing procedure manuals, or doing research for ongoing cases. Seven years does deserve some consideration, especially if this is an isolated incident.
Post a reply