Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 28 Mar 2014, 09:22 AM Agree 0
At least two organizations have let all their unpaid interns go after Ministry of Labour compliance orders.
  • Janine | 05 Apr 2014, 07:15 PM Agree 0
    Absolutely believe that unpaid internships should be discontinued, i see this as a means of business taking advantage of people who are desperate to get a job, and often.......hmmm wonder how many interns get full time jobs with the companies who benefited from their free labour? We already know the companies got value.
  • Karena | 05 Apr 2014, 09:03 PM Agree 0
    I think that the issue of unpaid internships is not being properly monitored by HR departments. While there is certainly tremendous opportunities for an intern to gain the relevant KSAOs of the job and occupation and not to mention the potential networking opportunities it provides; I have seen first hand where interns have been abused because of the fact that they are seen as "free labour." They become gofers for the powers that be simply because they know that interns need the job experience to get ahead in their careers.
    Most internship programs are not clearly defined and thus leaves the door open for exploitation of free labour by members of an organization.
    I believe that most organizations can also afford even a small stipend that would take some financial pressure off interns, as most of these people are students and can barely afford transportation costs to and from work.
    Canadian organizations are becoming too dependent on the notion and comfort of free labour. There needs to be an equitable system established to ensure that both parties benefit and none are taken advantage of.
  • Andrew Barker | 07 Apr 2014, 12:13 PM Agree 0
    When educational institutions charge tuition fees for programs that will not lead to employment other than internships, it tells you something about the disconnect between education/training and the needs of business. Part of the problem is that employers have decided that families and the state are responsible for training. Employers do not want to accept the financial responsibility to train staff. This is taken to a further extreme when employers "hire", or should I say USE interns.

In effect, both the educational institutions and the employers are in an "unholy alliance", driven by self interest. What a waste of human potential! Canada does not have so much of a skills shortage, but rather a labour mobility shortage and a lack of good values in both private/public sector and the education system. Stop treating people like they are commodities or feedstock - a "human resource".
Post a reply