Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 10 Dec 2013, 12:01 AM Agree 0
Should you rethink your big holiday bash? Your employees might not be as keen as you think.
  • S.E. | 10 Dec 2013, 10:13 AM Agree 0
    My public organization provides no party and no bonus or any other encouragement to celebrate Christmas, so it is a nothing holiday to the employer except to ask for donations for charities and food drives to make them look good.
  • Silke | 10 Dec 2013, 12:09 PM Agree 0
    It may be so, that employees prefer the money in the moment. It likely translates into less of a bonus than people might think. In the end, the long-term value of the unifying effect of corporate celebrations cannot be underestimated. A couple of years down the road, people are more likely to remember and derive value from the good times they had together rather than the $200 they got.
  • S.E. | 10 Dec 2013, 01:08 PM Agree 0
    Silke

Nobody cares anymore about unifying effect of corporate celebrations, don't over estimate this notion of a good time had by all. Most folks are using every penny to keep up with the loss of real wages in the last few years
  • Larry | 10 Dec 2013, 04:43 PM Agree 0
    False dichotomy - why does it have to be either/or? My organization has a party every year and bonus in the good years. The they are not linked so the party has a unifying effect even in bad years when there is no bonus.
  • SmsRed | 11 Dec 2013, 12:29 PM Agree 0
    Our Company has a 2-2.5 hr. luncheon for all staff at a very respectable Hotel (not a dive) within work hrs. and hands out bonuses and still people complain and don't want to go to the luncheon?
Post a reply