Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 23 Apr 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
Too many so-called educated youngsters are entering the workforce entirely unprepared for the role at hand, complain employers.
  • D. Guy | 23 Apr 2015, 04:05 PM Agree 0
    I am a Human Resources professional who has been completing my HR Degree part time while working in my field and from a student perspective I have to absolutely agree with the employers on this one.

In my experience, I can say with 100% certainty that had I completed my degree prior to entering my field and gone into my career with no hands-on experience I would not have been equipped with the practical knowledge required to be successful in my role.

Most educational programs, mine included, put far too much emphasis on studying books and far too little on a real world hands-on approach. As a student who is also a professional in my field it has raised the question for me many, many times on whether or not the educational component is really worth the expense... every time I run across a real world example that my textbook didn't prepare me for I find the answer to that question to be a resounding "NO".
Post a reply