Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 09 Jul 2014, 08:47 AM Agree 0
Following some high profile cases in the US, HRM looks into whether Canadian employers can legally fire people for swearing. As it turns out, the answer depends on the context.
  • ca_exp_work | 10 Jan 2016, 01:58 AM Agree 0
    I was in canada from 2013 to 2014, i was called for a general discussion and foul language was used against me during the discussion. I was rated very least by the same supervisor who used foul language.Not only this, he threatened that I will be terminated if he takes it with HR of the company. He professionally degraded so much that i am not fit to be even a trainee when compared with other trainees/interns.. I had 10+ years of experience. He abused me saying that he will make sure i suffer professionally in the organization.Later for the same year(after I returned to India due to medical), i was given the very least rating for 2014 and when i had a discussion with him and HR regarding my rating, he told everyone during the discussion that I was drunk. two more employees who were in canada working under him, supported this false claim. HR believed it during the discussion in India and justified least rating. I was alone and no one was there to support me during this discussion. I never explored to bring about this treatment of me but now I thought I should.

I had to go through lot of mental agony. My performance was completely destroyed and there was salary hike for me for next 2 years and also promotion. Still I am being denied promotion due to that rating i got. As far as work was concerned I gave all my support and got this treatment. Manager is still in the company enjoying.

Now it is 2016, i have been denied promotion, salary hike and also opportunities due to this. Not treated fairly now.

I had been down with back pain & bedridden for 2-3 weeks during during jan 2014. I used to work in production support all night. Due to this medical reason i requested that i want to travel back.
  • Jacky | 16 Dec 2016, 02:57 PM Agree 0
    I work at a restaurant at spur(waitron)... I work with clients and clients need too be happy all the time,I had food that I need to swing too the table,so the kitchen was sending my food but one plate they didn't send and I was already swinging my food to the table just when I wanted too go and fetch my other plate something was wrong,the kitchen didn't send the right food and the 3 clients was already eating accept the one person that sat with them so I swear at the chipper that was wrong of me,so I made my order myself because the one client was already waiting for her food.So my OPERATER said he is gonna fire me,I told him he must fire me if that's the case so I said"the clients come first".And he said I must take my things and leave.He fired me at night so I was walking to the kros and hike.What if something happens too me that night.He should have organized a lift for me home.What can I do to get my job back or what must I do must I stay at home and not going too work?
  • Jay | 16 Feb 2017, 09:29 AM Agree 0
    My coworker told me to shut the f... Up, and called me a f...... Liar. It was upsetting to say the least. We met with our supervisor so there was 3 of us. I was emotional because unfortunately I can't help it. My supervisor said to me that because I'm so emotional and my coworker was completely emotionless that he doesn't think this happened. I am without words. My supervisor and coworker are male and I am the emotional female. I just don't know what to do.
Post a reply