Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Beauty barriers: are you judging candidates by their hair and nails?

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 11 Oct 2012, 09:00 AM Agree 0
A quarter of British hiring managers say chipped nails are a sign of an unprepared candidate – are Canadian recruiters as shallow?
  • Jennifer Inch | 11 Oct 2012, 11:45 AM Agree 0
    I find it interesting that there is an assumption that women should wear make-up. I haven't worn makeup in nearly twenty years - it's a waste of my time, not to mention resources (think of all the money I've saved!), and I have nothing to hide. I put my grooming time into what I think are better priorities - being clean, presentable (incuding hair) and appropriately dressed.
    And quite frankly, if an employer were to not hire me because I don't wear make-up, then I don't want to work for them anyway.
  • Janine | 11 Oct 2012, 07:28 PM Agree 0
    I'd be curious to know if men are judged by the same shallow standards these women apparently are? I have to simply shake my head at this complete and utter nonsense.
  • Anna Lee Harris | 15 Oct 2012, 04:51 PM Agree 0
    A friend was told a few years ago that if she wanted a promotion she needed to take more time with her hair and make up. Even though it upset her, she did as requested and then stopped when promoted. She wasn't messy - usually had her hair tied back and tidy and wore mascara but not more than that. It's ridiculous, but it definitely happens.
Post a reply