Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 28 Jan 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
Parliamentary meeting suggests employers might not be able to rely on unpaid interns for much longer…
  • Danny G | 28 Jan 2015, 10:01 PM Agree 0
    I agree that in certain scenarios making people work for free is unfair and of course everyone should be protected under OHS laws; but abolishing unpaid internships could have a negative impact. If companies are forced to pay they will most likely opt to go for someone with experience - so students and new grads could have less opportunities to gain working experience. Talk to any student or new grad and you know its already an uphill battle.

I was happy to work for free for 6 months after graduating. It would have been great to be paid, but I got to use the companies name on my resume, proclaim I had 6 months experience in my field, and walked away with high-level professional references.

Although I was one of the 2.8 percent who wasn't offered a paid job upon completion of my 6 months - I learned a ton and gained the experience and confidence that helped me get hired fairly quickly.

Post a reply